Marcella Cox, LMFT
I will support you to connect with your inner strength, compassion and wisdom, as that's what allows you to change and heal.
My goal is to help you discover your true potential and lead a life of greater ease, fulfillment, and meaning. My therapeutic approach is integrative and holistic: we'll bring together mindfulness, acceptance, compassion, and attachment-based therapies to help you gain self-awareness and insight, and develop new ways of relating to yourself, others, and difficult situations.
After working in the corporate world as a public relations and marketing consultant, followed by taking a hiatus for a few years to raise my children, I began searching for what would bring more meaning and purpose to my life. I was inspired to become a therapist because I found I had a knack for, and found fulfillment in, guiding people through their personal struggles. I have also fought my own battles, not always with ease, but with determination and hope. It's a great privilege to kindle that spark of hope within my clients, and walk with them on their journey as they discover their own inner wisdom and goodness, come to know themselves more deeply, and befriend themselves wholeheartedly.
My Therapy Dog
He is a 4-year-old Shih Tzu therapy dog whom I bring to work. Pet therapy has been shown to reduce stress, boost self-esteem, improve mood, and foster better communication skills.
Animals accept us as we are. They don’t judge and they don’t threaten. So you can interact with Walter, safe in the knowledge that he has no hidden agenda.
How Can I Support You?
I offer all new clients a free 15-minute consultation. Please contact me, and we'll talk about your hopes and goals for therapy.
My Professional Background
Education, Licenses & Certifications
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) 87274
- Certified Eating Disorder Specialist (IAEDP)
- Certified Daring Way Facilitator (Dr. Brené Brown)
- Certified Mindful Self-Compassion Instructor, UCSD Center for Mindfulness
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT), Yoga Alliance
- MS, Clinical Psychology, Notre Dame de Namur
- BA, Political Science, University of California, Los Angeles
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Santa Clara Valley Chapter of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Association of Professionals Treating Eating Disorders
- International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals
- National Eating Disorder Association
- Binge Eating Disorder Association
Other Trainings & Certifications
- Eating Disorder Prevention
- Mindfulness, Mindful Self-Compassion, & Mindful Eating
- Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)