Unburden Overwhelming Emotions and Negative Beliefs
Trauma is any experience too overwhelming for the mind and body to process appropriately. Traumatic events can be distinguished in in two ways:
- "Big T” trauma is defined as surviving an event such as a natural disaster, physical or sexual abuse, or bodily injury.
- "Little t” trauma (sometimes called "relational trauma") is defined as negative relational events, such as a divorce, the death of a loved one, a betrayal by a friend, being called hurtful names by your peers, your spouse, or a parent.
Are you struggling with "Big T" Trauma?
Are you having trouble “getting over” some recent distressing event? Or suffering from flashbacks or nightmares? Do you find yourself avoiding situations that remind you of the event?
Or "Little t" Trauma?
Certain challenges might be rooted in early relational trauma, including:
- Taking responsibility for the emotional well-being of others.
- Adjusting your mood according to the mood of others to avoid conflict.
- Feeling emotionally unsafe in most relationships.
- Fearing failure or perfectionism, which is driven by your belief that anything short of perfection is failure.
- Fearing abandonment, which results in behaviors that reflect a belief that others will eventually leave.
- Acting with self-sufficiency that leads to isolation, loneliness and more shame.
As a therapist, my work is to help you look at your past with compassion.
To help clients heal past trauma, I use EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) and IFS (Internal Family Systems). Both these highly effective, evidence-based therapies can help you:
- Take the charge out of distressing memories.
- Release strong body sensations.
- Take on more positive and accurate beliefs about yourself.
- Identify internal resources so you can relate in new ways to negative experiences in the future.
EMDR & IFS also can be used to treat anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, depression, grief, and addiction.
Get to the Root of What's Causing Your Distress
Therapy can help process unhealed experiences and free yourself from difficult experiences from your past, so you can live the life that you want to live. Please contact me to find out how I can support you.